Snoop Dogg partnered with 19 Crimes wine to bring an augmented reality tiny Snoop to the shelves of your local liquor store.
The majority of shoppers surveyed by NielsenIQ said that augmented reality, or AR, gives them more confidence in the quality of the product.
The three main use cases for AR, according to this Harvard Business Review analysis, are to entertain, educate, and evaluate.
A common use case is allowing customers to “try before you buy.” Many makeup and glasses retailers use AI on their websites to allow shoppers to virtually “try on” their products.
But applications could be taken much further.
“Customers want AR. But managers must have a proper understanding of how AR can help their brand before they invest in the technology.”
-Harvard Business Review
TikTok Gains Market Share
TikTok’s advertising is cheaper than its competitors and touts better engagement, according to a recent report.
This is prompting advertisers to move ad spend from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to TikTok, according to the Financial Times.
Our take is that it’s tough to generalize because performance varies so much based on your campaign objective, ad creative, and target audience, among other factors. So we don’t advise any knee-jerk ad budget decisions based on this data.
- Netflix predicts that advertising will become at least 10 percent of its revenue after the launch of its $6.99 ad-supported tier went smoothly, execs said.
- YouTube is testing a hub of free, ad-supported streaming channels. Here’s what that means.
- Peloton brought on Twitter’s former marketing head, Leslie Berland, to serve as its new chief marketing officer this week. Peleton’s stock dropped 75 percent in 2022.
P.S. Remember this?
- Check out this podcast episode with guest Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney. He talks about Disney’s acquisition of Pixar, and the differences he noticed between the two studios in how movies were pitched and developed.
- Dr. Dre is selling $200 million worth of his music assets to Universal Music and Shamrock. According to Billboard, this marks an acceleration of a run on hip-hop and rap assets. Before Future’s assets were acquired, private equity has mainly stayed away from the genre.
- Check out this eyebrow-raising McDonald’s UK ad. We love it.
That’s all for this week. Check back in next Friday for more news. And subscribe to our newsletter below for additional updates.